Eleanor started kindergarten today!
We weren't sure if she would. She's technically too young to go to kindergarten; she misses the deadline by three weeks. Matt and I have been talking about accelerating her for a while. She's always acted older than her peers and we really did think she was ready to go. We signed her up for preschool just in case, but also signed her up to get her tested for acceleration.
She had the testing three weeks ago, and after that we had a really great conversation with the Gifted and Talented department about Eleanor and her readiness to go. They thought she was most definitely ready to go and had some really good insights as to her emotional and intellectual abilities. They rarely accelerate kids into kindergarten; Eleanor was one of the 2 that were approved to accelerate this year (I asked).
So she got the okay to go. But then we found out that that there was an unexpected influx of kindergartners this year and there were no slots available for her. So, no kindergarten. Good thing we signed her up for preschool! I wouldn't usually send my kids to preschool unless there is a real reason to go, but she'd be attending a Montessori school and we could basically do a kindergarten curriculum while in preschool. That's what I love about the Montessori program.
But yesterday I got a call that there was now an opening available, would we like to put Eleanor in it? Mind you, the first day of school is today, Thursday. So, yes, we took the spot. BUT! She's not technically registered to go to kindergarten! This morning I had to wake up early, get Eleanor and Theodore dressed and take them down to the district office to get signed up while Matt put Peter on the bus. Eleanor got signed up, and I took her down to go to school, only half an hour late!
She was SO excited to go. She's excited to ride the bus, eat lunch at school, make new friends, learn to read, and mostly to be a kindergartner. It reminded me a lot of when I was 4 and I would look out the window at Diedra and Rixa walking to school in the morning and just WISH that I could go to school.
So now I'm here at home with just Theodore. He's watching Dora and finishing his breakfast and I'm blogging and watching The Daily Show. It'll be just him and me for a few more months until the baby is born.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't believe it! Weren't you just pregnant with her?
Does she still remember the Dhoffs?
Post a Comment