
Theodore turned 1 on Wednesday. It feels as though I was pregnant only a little while ago, and until I go back and look through the pictures on our computer I honestly can't realize that it's already been a whole year. Then I remember, oh, yeah, I remember the last July 4th, he was just a baby and we all got soaked during the sudden rainstorm that interrupted the fireworks,
or, hey, I had forgotten how tiny he looked in his cloth diapers when he first started wearing them.

And now I look at him and watch him navigate the world around him and marvel at that such a little boy can have such a big personality. This kid barely sits still enough for me to kiss him, so last week when he was sick and all he wanted was to sit in my arms for three days straight, I didn't complain once. I may have even wanted him to be sick some more because it felt so good to snuggle my baby. I miss the baby he was and am excited to see the boy he'll become.
Everything must be on his terms. I am nervous for what that will bring when he's older, but at least I don't have to worry about what he wants, because all he wants to do all day is tell me what he wants and complain about if he doesn't get it. And believe me, even though he can't talk doesn't mean he's not communicating exactly what he wants. And I understand perfectly that yes, he wants marshmallows, or yes, he wants to go outside, and no, he doesn't want to sit on my lap and read books.
At least he still needs his mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment